Monday, June 11, 2012

Sunday Night

We've come to the end of a busy week. 

I picked up a bug somewhere around Houston and was laid up most of the week.  Kyle had night flights which usually makes for an unorthodox schedule for a while.  Both girls have been waking up several times a night - maybe they caught the same thing I had? 

We tried a new church today and brought both of the girls. 

Our little band's been together non-stop since we moved over two months ago.  Kyle and I weren't sure how the girls were going to respond being in nursery today.  We predicted that AV would cry pretty hard - she's in a little stranger anxiety phase right now - and that Meggie would see the other kids and run right in.  But, it turned out the opposite.  AV was dropped off without a tear (she did, though, cry when we picked her up.  The nursery ladies said she did great until she saw the other parents coming in to get their babies.), but Meggie was really upset when we took her to her classroom.  Seeing her like that, crying and begging us to stay with her, was heart-wrenching both because she's never really reacted like that before in a nursery setting and because it made us miss even more acutely our dear church family in Oklahoma. 

Moving is hard. Hard. Hard. Hard.

I keep telling myself that our family is meant to be a military one for this time in our lives and that each member is being shaped by this experience in the way that God means for us to be - growing in our own unique ways according to His plan for our lives, both corporately and individually.  God's teaching Meggie specific life lessons through this move, and at the same time, He's teaching her parents how she needs to be loved on through the moving process.  Hopefully, through it all, we're growing closer to Him.

But to be strong and secure in this promise felt really hard as we walked away hearing her cries from inside the nursery.  By the time we'd dropped AV off and spent several minutes in Meg's class making sure she was as comfortable as possible...and then waited outside her door to make sure she calmed down and joined in playing, we only had 30 minutes left in the service - which made us feel better about leaving her.  Thankfully, her crying only lasted a few minutes as we listened and we were able to be "right back" like we told her.  As we told her over and over after church, we were so proud of how brave she was in a new situation - that she faced her fears with courage - that she did a very hard thing with grace.  And then we gave her an ice cream treat.  Ice cream makes everything better. :)

I'm hoping the leaving gets easier from here.  That we faced the hardest part today and overcame.  My prayers for her big-time right now are for security in her new home and new situations.

We're almost to the big reveal of my new site.  I can't wait for you to see what we've been working on and try out the new feel of the blog.  It will also be nice to get back into the blogging routine.  For the last couple weeks I've been working behind the scenes and haven't been able to share like I want/hope.  I'm looking forward to moving on in our new space.  One thing I'm super excited about in particular is that the new site will have a handy feature for following the blog by email, twitter, or facebook.  These doo-dads will make it much easier to subscribe if you don't have an account with blogger.  Hopefully, it will allow me to have better/easier/faster contact with you, my dear readers.

Before I close out this Sunday night, I have a couple of girl reports that I don't want to forget.

1.  We hopped over to the beach this afternoon after naps.  As we pulled into the state seashore that's across from our house, Meggie announced from her carseat perch:

"Now, Mama.  Listen here.  There's lots of big kids out here today and so we need to be careful.  No no running away.  We need to stay with Mommy and Daddy and to be careful and to hold Mommy's hand at the beach."

She said it with such solemnity and honesty that Kyle and I doubled over in laughter.  That's exactly the speech I gave her when I took the girls to the beach by myself on Friday night. 

2.  We are also proud of our little adventurous eater, AV.  After months and months of questions and frustrations and not eating solid food, she's responding SO WELL to the hypoallergenic formula (it's made from corn and milk-free and soy-free).  So well that even in the last week has shown more interest in eating than ever before.  On June 9 she ate her first "real people" meal - a little of everything we were eating. 

She scarfed down: turkey, brown rice pasta, green beans, and watermelon.  She can put away some watermelon, let me tell you.

And, even though I can scarce write the words, our baby girl will be ONE in less than a week. 


Where did the time go???

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe she's nearly ONE!!! I must admit I am very much looking forward to this new reveal, you've peaked my interest. And that Meg, she's a chip off the old block.